None registered yet
- Session Four: Sunday 10:30am–12:00pm
- Room 208
- Dr. Alec Couros, Dean Shareski
- Affiliation: Faculty of Education, University of Regina
- Conversational Focus/Audience:
- All School Levels
- Conversation Description:
Dean Shareski and Alec Couros have been teaching technology and social media related courses in a teacher education program at the Faculty of Education, University of Regina. Over the last couple of years, we have focused on social and participatory learning strategies as we have "opened" our courses with the assistance of the individuals in our respective personal learning networks. This has meant connecting our students to passionate and knowledgeable educators from around the world, and also, allowing our students to become mentors in distant classrooms. The courses, based on student feedback, have been very successful. We hope to focus this conversation on both the specific and general. First, in what ways can we improve our course experiences to ensure success for our students (and hopefully for the schools in which they are hired)? Second, we would like your input in (re)imagining the role of teacher education programs in the development of students who are technologically savvy and media literate. What should our programs aim to accomplish? What strategies should we adopt? And, perhaps most importantly, how can we work better with K12 schools districts to help foster innovation and ensure success for young learners.
- Conversational Practice:
- There will be a very short, 5-10 minute, overview of the topic that will be followed by a large group discussion (possibly small groups as well). We will use a wiki to track important points, and invite others to collaborate before/beyond the date of the session. We may work to develop a teacher education type manifesto, or something similar, depending on input from the group.
- Elluminate Rooms ( instructions for launching Elluminate )
- Stream via Elluminate: Room 208 — Channel B